[faq title=”” open1st=”0″ openAll=”0″][faq_item title=”How long does it take to get an IDD?” number=”4″]Getting an IDD doesn’t take a ton of time, but it’s certainly not something you want to leave until the last minute. It typically takes one to three days to process your IDD application. You can expedite the process with a request, but you should leave plenty of time before your trip to avoid getting stuck in an unfortunate situation[/faq_item][/faq]
[faq title=”” open1st=”0″ openAll=”0″][faq_item title=”How long is an IDD valid for?” number=”5″]IDDs are valid for up to 3 years, depending on type. However, validity of IDD cannot exceed the validity of your Domestic Driving Licence. Some countries also recognize IDDs from foreign visitors only for a few weeks, or only for as long as their tourist visas are valid.
Even though this IDD contains high quality translations of the Driving Licence, in some countries, authorities may only request a certain IDP format (such as IDP-1949), thus this IDD will not be considered valid.
[faq title=”” open1st=”0″ openAll=”0″][faq_item title=”What happens if I am stopped and given a citation against my IDD” number=”6″]The IDD or IDP (permisul international de conducere)does not hold any powers of its own apart from your driver’s licence, therefore you do not have a separate driving record with an IDD. The IDD is valid only when carried in conjunction with and acts as a translation of a driving licence. If you are traveling in a foreign country and are stopped by a law enforcement officer, your Domestic Driver’s Licence and IDD should be presented to the officer. If a citation is issued to you, it will be reflected on the driving record that is connected to your driver’s licence. Penalties can range from fines to citations.[/faq_item][/faq]
[faq title=”” open1st=”0″ openAll=”0″][faq_item title=”Am I required to have an IDD in foreign countries?” number=”7″]Most countries, except in Europe, do not recognize a Driver’s Licence from other countries without an IDD or IDP (Permis International de Conducere). Some countries may honor a Driving Licence from your country, but require a local language translation, so the IDD can satisfy these needs. Keep in mind, however, that while a certain country’s government may not require an IDD, car rental companies may require an IDP or IDD to rent a car. Purchasing an IDD prior to departure can save a lot of potential hassles.
NOTE: If you are living permanently or staying for a long period of time in a foreign country, even though you may still hold a domestic Driver’s Licence, you must abide by local traffic laws. Many countries require that you obtain a local licence once you take up employment and/or residency.
[faq title=”” open1st=”0″ openAll=”0″][faq_item title=”Does possession of the IDD along with my domestic-issued Driver’s Licence override any local laws?” number=”8″]No, you must adhere to all local laws. In many countries, if you take up residence or employment you must obtain a local Licence.[/faq_item][/faq]
Important information to keep in mind.
– The IDP (permisul internațional de conducere) or IDD is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid Driving Licence. You must carry your Domestic Driving Licence with your IDP at all times.
– The International Driving Permit (Permis International de Conducere) can only be obtained from Union des Automobilistes Bulgares.
– The IDD IS NOT to be used as an ID or Driving Licence.
– The IDD does not diminish your obligation to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
– The validity of the IDD can never exceed the validity of your domestic driver’s licence.
– The IDD can only be issued to drivers holding a valid domestic Driving Licence.
– The IDD can only be issued to persons over 18 years of age.
– The IDD is not accepted as a recognizable form of identification.
– An IDD does NOT give you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details.